Friday, September 9, 2011

Day #4- To Be Content in Any Circumstance

Continuing the 21-day prayer challenge from mobsociety.com (see post for Sept. 7)

Like Paul, may__________learn to be content in any situation (Philippians 4:11).
McGlothlin, Brooke (2011-05-02). Warrior Prayers: Praying the Word for Boys in the Areas They Need it Most (Kindle Locations 486-487). Kindle Edition. 

How are you learning the discipline of contentment?
Because it is a discipline.
Its choosing to turn a heart from complaining and not listen to the voices that say, "But it's not fair!", or "I've never had to go through this before!"  It's letting God, gently but firmly, take my little chin in his big hand and tilt my face upwards towards his eyes that are sparkling with love for me. He has said he is E-N-O-U-G-H; now I have a chance to prove it.

Will I give all the disgruntled feelings to him and ask him to show me what his intentions are in setting me up like this?  Or in allowing it to happen?  And then to expectantly watch for what he is going to do around me and in me?

If I say yes, slowly, my emotions change from the anger of demanding my rights (you said you are my shepherd I will not be in want, no evil with come near me, is this the way you reward me for trying to be good?) to quietness and rest. I am thankful for what I have and confident of his goodness and faithfulness. Anticipating what good might come out of it all,  just may find me with a bit of giddiness, too, akin to waiting for Christmas morning or some good surprise.

It usually takes a process to get there, but by his constant tweaking and adjustments and my repentance and submission, I will eventually find myself living in Satisfaction- Ease- of -Mind in the state of Contentment.

So when I pray for my grandsons to learn contentment-- they will not always be given everything they ask for, when they want it, or in a way that is most pleasing to them.  What they have that they don't want will not always be returned for or replaced by something they think is better.  Anybody know of another way to learn contentment?

I pray for my grandsons' parents, too.  May God give you grace for the temper tantrums, a stick-to-your-principles kind of consistency and huge doses of patient love that lets them know they are valued and special even in the middle of the discipline.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post ~ it makes me think of the book "Loving God With All Your Mind"...I think the author is Elizabeth George ~ anyway, she, in a nut shell, she talks about how it is the renewing of our minds with the Word of God that changes us and gives us a new perspective of contentement and peace.....the "discipline" of going to the Word, instead of my nasty negative thoughts....and what a blessing when the Lord changes my thoughts through His power ~ the power of His Word, because I truly do not have the power to change myself!! Much love ~alice

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your response!