Sunday, January 10, 2021

Normal in a Not so Normal World

 We've rounded the corner to a new year, yet things remain the same. Social distancing, masks and no hugging continue. How are you encouraging yourself? What's keeping you alive these days?

In some ways life feels harder now than a month ago. When everyone was hunkered down, I felt in good company. Now many are moving on, and I struggle to know what I should or shouldn't do. So in the midst of this long time of sheltering, here are a few things that encourage me, keep me going and provide comfort and/or hope.

Our Bible Study of the book of Hebrews continues in person. Reading and studying the verses and then hearing others share their thoughts has been very encouraging. The author of Hebrews is passionate about warning his listeners to stand firm and not drift away from their faith, to not shrink back from pursing faith, to not give up staying in fellowship with other believers and to understand the supremacy of Jesus. He is above their past understanding and practice of following God's rules and regulations. They were just a shadow, or ways towards the present reality of the benefits of Christ's death and resurrection--ready access to his throne of grace, counting on his intercession on our behalf and being assured of better days ahead. We can live in this faith that gives us confidence and hope in our savior, Jesus, no matter what happens in the world around us.

Walking almost every day gives me time to clear my head in the crisp, cool air and to find time to pray, reflect or listen to podcasts. My favorite podcasts to listen to these days are: That Sounds Fun-Annie F. Downs, The Church Politics-Justin Giboney, Holy Post-Phil Vischer, and a new one that just popped up two weeks ago, Just Plain Wrong-Erin Milanese. Erin, Tillie and Abby discuss Amish novels and pick them apart for accuracy and enjoyment. This holds interest for me, not because I like Amish novels- I don't- but because these three gals were co-workers of mine at Goshen College. 

Recently, Kevin had some days off.  We drove to Bonneyville Park and wandered some trails. It was a nice change of scenery from our around-the-block exercise route. I enjoyed the sounds and smells of nature. There was even a tiny waterfall over a small dam.


Our Bonneyville Park Excursion




I got some new fuzzy socks for Christmas. Matching them with my sweats and leggings has brought me joy.  The littlest thing... and there are still some holiday treats lurking in the cupboard or hanging out on the counter that keep vying with my diet resolve. That peppermint bark and the party mix keep coming up winners! 

Making plans for the next day, also keeps me focused on what's ahead. Grocery shopping is an opportunity to dress up! Washing or baking can be in the plans, as well as the routines that somehow bring some semblance of comfort and anticipation. I eat breakfast with network news and take in a bit of cable news with my lunch. Lunch includes playing my Words With Friends turns. Making a date to walk with a friend or going out of my comfort zone and meeting someone for coffee, is something to look forward to.

I started keeping a place setting for Kevin and me at the counter, on the yellow stools, where we eat supper every night. The little act of making a pretty place to dine has brought delight. With a candle burning; the lighted picture frame in our view; and the snowmen plates to mark the season, we're feeling the coziness on cold winter nights. 

The phone calls to kids and grandkids, and continuing to mark birthdays and anniversaries with packages and love, and watching our Sunday night streaming shows are all part of what I'm doing to keep as much of my life as normal as possible.

What about you? Are you finding life fairly normal? If you work every day and go to church in person, maybe life doesn't feel too different. If you're more stuck at home, for whatever reason, what are you taking delight in?

In lieu of leaving comments, you can respond at ruthshow1@gmail.com. I welcome your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!