Wednesday, December 2, 2020

To Catch and Not to be Caught

 I dislike the days I awake with negative thoughts badgering my emotions. This particular day it was disappointment in and worry about some relationship that didn't seem to reciprocate my efforts to connect. I was hastening towards rejection, by-passing the well known fact that this trap only leads to a dead end. I then remembered the training exercise of taking my thoughts captive and handing them to the Holy Spirit. I deliberately said the prayer of submission, asking the Holy Spirit to help me focus on the realities of God's kingdom and his abiding presence. I wanted him to make good on the prayer I've been praying lately, especially this line-

"Make me love you so much that nothing in this life comes close to my joy in you". 

Does my joy come from you above all, or does it depend on whether this other relationship meets my needs? When I'm pining about how or if others show appreciation for what I do or how much I care, I'm probably seeking after an other-than-Jesus source of joy. His love always far outdoes my efforts to stay connected to him; I only love because he first loved me.

Then the Holy Spirit brought to mind Galatians 6:9-10. 

"So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don't give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith."

Grateful for an answer so quickly, I stopped the negative rhetoric and humbly thanked the One who knows me so well. I felt the joy of being heard and reminded to not quit reaching out, caring for others, and expressing my love. And what a bonus to know the promise that I will reap a good harvest when the time is right. 

Maybe your challenge to joy isn't tied to petty, self-centered emotions, but maybe to grieving for an activity or income that isn't happening because of these tenuous times. Perhaps it's even darker than that. A loved one has died, your health is compromised, or you literally are alone in your room-like many seniors in retirement homes right now. 

Without negating the importance of grieving sadness and loss, catch any destructive thoughts and take them to the Holy Spirit. Find his perspective on your situation. He will comfort and guide you and bring to mind what Jesus said (often a verse from scripture).

Here's to our peeps in the community of faith!  How we need each other! Let's catch the chances to work for the benefit of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!