Monday, June 16, 2014

Junk to Treasure


The Treasure!
The day was a perfect June beauty, just the right temperature, with a whole morning in front of me to spend garage saleing with a friend. Neither one of us had to be back a certain time so we could sift through plenty of  piles of discards and rummage through tables laden with possible treasures.

The sale was a whole town event so skipping from garage to garage was easy and effortless. It wasn't even that far to where the car was parked, so we could relieve our arms of the purchases we were accruing, whenever needed. ...A bracelet here, a picture frame from that corner, children's books for the grand kids, a cat scratching pole for my friend who had just adopted two kittens the night before...

Three hours later we were tired, thirsty and weary.  We pulled out to the highway and headed for one more sale, the one another friend was manning for her step mom.  I knew her step mom was moving to a retirement village, so I figured things might be dated and probably not my style,  but it would be good to visit our friend.  I was surprised and delighted to find just the little table I needed for the front porch. I then contemplated whether I wanted a middle piece of luggage from the 3 tier set. I liked the pattern in the fabric and the size was perfect. After bargaining a price for just the one piece from the set, I toted it behind me to the car--my last purchase of the day.

Later at home, I sorted through the new/used stuff, and put the things away in their new places. As I carried the suitcase downstairs, I opened it to see what pockets, zippers and pouches it offered. Out tumbled an array of surprises. Feminine products, wash clothes, not just one or two but a stack, a pair of nylon knee highs and a women's duster with the round yoke in front and a polyester bold print. A couple of drawstring bags were folded on the bottom. How funny! No one had checked the inside before sitting it out for sale; I felt no need to see inside at the time of sale because I was sure the size was right and I was buying it from people I knew. Puts new meaning into "comes with a lot of baggage". Some people find treasure in others junk. I found junk in my treasure!

I called my friend right away and suggested looking inside the matching two pieces of luggage I had opted not to buy.  Perhaps there was something in them more valuable than wash clothes!  After all who hasn't stuck their hand in an off season jacket and discovered some money hidden in a pocket?

What about when God goes looking to buy people for his chosen possession? He might pull out one from the free box, not even worth a price. But a treasure to him. Or some gaudy trinket that no longer has purpose, might become a show piece in his art gallery.  Stained? His blood will make it like new.  Pieces that look in good shape, like my find, but have hidden junk inside- he will clean it out. Whatever shape we are in, he buys us with the blood of Jesus. What a peculiar assortment are we all among his treasured possessions

Thank you, Father,  for choosing me when I was junky, cleaning me up and making me your treasure. Shine your praises through me.

1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;
Deuteronomy 14:2
for you are a people holy to the Lord your God. Out of all the peoples on the face of the earth, the Lord has chosen you to be his treasured possession.
Revelation 5:9
And they sang a new song, saying: “You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased for God persons from every tribe and language and people and nation.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!