Monday, January 6, 2014

ThereS now Better Way to Bring in the New Year!



 Tunneling into 2014- Snow is Beautiful and the Weather is Cold!
For the beauty of the earth,
for the beauty of the skies,
for the love which from our birth
over and around us lies,
Lord of all, to thee we raise
This our hymn of grateful praise. 

After it's all said and done
In spite of the hype and celebration of turning the calendar over into a new year, many of us want to take one last glance into the rear view mirror and make a summary of the last 12 months we've journeyed through. Here's my backwards glance.

Category 1
What did I accomplish during those 525, 600 minutes?
Hopefully more than this list, but here are some highlights.


-My blog gained one entry per week; almost every week
-I can boast of meeting and talking to a successful author (Jeanette Oke)
-I  see growth emotionally and spiritually-follow those footsteps and you'll see some backtracking and sliding off the trail; but definitely movement forward
-Kevin and I took our first mission trip together, which we had talked about doing ever since we got married
-God answered prayers for our kids in various ways; two sons found a mate to love 
-Kevin and I actually know some ballroom dancing! Whether we can pass that knowledge to our limbs on demand is still unpredictable, but we keep trying and enjoying the process
-I've grown professionally as my job has taken on more responsibilities
-Kevin and I edited a photo book of Kevin’s parent’s life’s history

Category 2
What changed?

-we cut ties with a Honda and embraced a Prius
-I entered a new decade and my body reminds me often that it is now what it used to be
-each of the grandkids became a year older and continue to show more of the person God has created them to be
-our church body has gone through some significant changes-friends have left and our pastor is stepping down to make room for a younger leader
- a daughter moves her family to VA. where her husband found a job
-stores downtown do some juggling and a new pretzel vendor moves in :)

Category 3
What stayed the same?

-friends who we can share a meal with, plan a card night with and do breakfast with every Saturday morning
-neighbors who can come over in a blizzard to keep us company
-senior status stuff  like misplacing glasses, getting AARP mail , not wanting to do housework-it's nice to finally have something to blame it on :)
-a faithful husband who loves me
-the house we live in--although it did get a new furnace this fall
-a God who is always with me and keeps turning everything into good, and loves me unconditionally

Category 4

What do I hope for in 2014?

-to get further into loving others as God loves me
-write, write and write some more
-growing closer to my friends and family, enjoying the life we share
-being fully vested in my church and allowing God to use my gifts
-growing another year older, gracefully!
-to have fun; creative times, travel, good books to read, movies to watch...
-to get involved in places and people who need to know and feel God's love

Go before us and prepare our path. Redeem the past as only You can. Grow our hearts in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. Keep drawing us close, even when we seem distracted, especially when we are distracted. Glorify your name through your people and may your kingdom come and your will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Amen.






-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!