Monday, August 15, 2022

Known by God

 Summer in Elkhart County, IN, brings the 3rd largest county fair in the nation within walking distance from our house. We frequently get asked if fair week is a nuisance because of traffic, noise and other distractions. Since we can walk to the fairgrounds, traffic isn't a problem getting there. If we're careful about when we drive away or return to our house that week, we experience little inconvenience. Yes, you can hear the screams of carnival ride-goers, music from the big stage performers, and the roar of tractor pull engines. Sometimes a waft of greasy fair food reaches our property as well as the faint sounds of animals lowing in their stalls. For me, it all breeds a feeling of excitement, busyness, and a once-a-year allowance for unhealthy eating. 

Our church gets involved with opportunities for fund-raising with various tasks during the week. Last year I volunteered to work a shift in the ice-cream booth. This year 750 hours of peoplepower went into cleaning the eight sets of restrooms on the fairgrounds. Our church's nonprofit earned a nice amount of cash for our labors. But I've closed my chapter on that job; I'll serve in other ways.

Our church entered a float in the Sunday parade this year. The entry advertised an upcoming sermon series on Godly messages garnered from featured movies. The float had giant movie concession objects and a ticket booth. I was scheduled to walk behind the float, but the day before I had spent five hours of helping someone move, followed by five hours of cleaning toilets, and I needed to give my feet a break.

I decided to view part of the parade, timing my arrival to see our float pass by. I didn't realize several of my grandkids were walking with one of the fire department floats. As they approached where I was standing, I waved my arms until one of them spied me and yelled, "Hi Grandma!" A friend was sitting on another wagon and my flailing arm caught her attention and she called out a loud hello. Finally, our float arrived. I scanned the walkers looking for Kevin. He saw me first and waved. Someone else called out my name.

In the midst of strangers, I was one face among many, yet without saying anything I had been known and acknowledged. It was a moment of connection that no one else around me in the crowd could participate in. 

God says his eyes scan the whole world to strengthen those who are committed to him with all their hearts... 2 Chronicles 16:9 (CEB) No matter who I'm surrounded by, or how many I stand among, God sees me and finds me. His look strengthens me and makes me feel loved. I am never lost from his view. 

I had relationship with those who could pick me out in the crowd. In this case, a look was worth more than a thousand words. Thank you for always seeing me, Father, and for knowing me because I belong to you. Help me to acknowledge those who are vying for my attention. May many be strengthened because we lead them to you, who loves them and sees them.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!