Monday, June 21, 2021

What Just Happened?

Have you looked back to when the pandemic started? There were myriads of losses since then, but were there any gains? What will you remember from this time?

I revisited my journal from a year ago and read my first reactions to the virus and the initial lockdown. I had compared the stay-at-home order to a lengthy snowstorm. When any one thing affects everyone in the same way, there’s a sense of oneness with others. We are all experiencing the inconveniences, the common lot of changing plans and the equal challenges of beginning the day, even if it’s the smallest decision of whether to wear boots. The only thing we can totally control is our response to the situation. In the case of snow, I’m swept back to the euphoria of a school day cancelled. Others grumble about the cold and delays, wishing they had gone to FL a little sooner.

So for awhile, the lockdown was almost fun. We’re All in This Together would have been a fitting title for this new adventure. Social media became our best connection to each other and how the world seemed smaller as leaders and artists of faith across the country spoke encouragement, called us to action or regaled us with free concerts. I remember Kirk Cameron’s call to prayer every day, and another leader’s invite to all sing the same song of worship outside on the same day and at the same time as we followed the music from the internet, and then post a selfie of our participation. Thank you, Sandi Patty, for being vulnerable and for sharing daily of your experience with Covid. Thank you, Selah, for singing to us from your front porch. Thank you, friends, for sharing scriptures and words of hope. 

 Our pastor, Jeremy, did a super job of drawing us together with a short video of encouraging words every morning on Facebook. We worshipped Sunday mornings together through Facebook or YouTube. We were invited into all church Zoom Bible studies and Zoom discussion groups. I remember thinking how united I felt with my Christian brothers and sisters, more than any other time in my life. 

The fact that now I have only a memory of those feelings speaks of how I’ve moved on and my question is, have I gained anything good from that time? Emotions don’t sustain us, but was anything worth holding on to? I remember a podcast conversation asking that question as we first began to emerge from our cocooning. Did God give us a unique opportunity to fix our minds on things above, let go of what keeps us distracted, and advance our unity in the body of Christ?  Not for a moment, but towards some real metamorphosis. 

Alas! How quickly we became distracted by the up-coming election, by our differences in political stances, and our desire to return to some normalcy. I believe we did not seize the moment or allow hardship to birth new lasting changes. Since then we’ve seen social media become a tool for hateful arguments, for angry demands to believe a certain way and a disregard for the division that’s happened in the wake of those behaviors.

What is God’s call to his people right now? Since he doesn’t abandon the work of his hands and since his church is the hope of the world, what is he saying? I’m hearing a call to revival. There’s a purging needed that brings repentance. A humility that surrenders all to him. Loyal hearts that love him so much that nothing in this life comes close to our joy in him. Lives that are prepared for service by “gazing deeply into the perfecting law of liberty and are fascinated by it and respond to the truth they hear and are strengthened by it-they experience God’s blessing in all that they do!” James 1:25 PTP

 The world is being called to greater equity and compassion for those less privileged. Black fellow Americans cry for it and are shouting their pain. Government is trying to appease and win favor. Often the fight against evil is with more evil, greater hatred and increase of power.

We know that Jesus and His kingdom come to earth is the only lasting change for individuals and communities. How can we not be passionate for his purposes in these days? Isn’t it worth all that we might be asked to surrender? How we need to learn to follow the Holy Spirit’s leading! Will we at least listen to the pain and cries of the persons in the world around us and hear the motives behind the methods before we cry “evil”, “progressive”, “demonic”? Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil, and I want to be in that fight with him, no doubt about that! But Jesus fulfilled that mission by giving his life to set the captive free. He brought healing and hope to the helpless, and sought after the lost to save them. By his example, that meant touching lepers to heal them; loving a rich young ruler and offering him a better way; calling an embezzler and corrupt government IRS agent into his inner circle; breaking norms and cultural prejudice to go out of the way to show a woman his forgiveness and her worth; not condemning a woman caught in adultery, but by extending mercy calling her to a new life; allowing his betrayer into the most intimate setting of his last meal on earth and washing his feet; looking beyond his pain on the cross to provide for his mother’s future; welcoming children; and speaking words of truth to all who had ears to hear. He’s entrusted the ongoing work to us who believe in him and follow his commands. He has no other plan.

Lord, I know how far I fall short, how little my faith and compassion feel and how easily I’m distracted by this world. I can’t change me by my own determination, so I ask you Holy Spirit to fill me and lead me into all you’ve destined for me. Give me a willing heart to hear you and obey. Help me love and care for others like you do. Increase my love and allegiance to you. Forgive my sins. Be my strength in weakness and may this all be for your glory and our joy of life together.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!