Sunday, December 23, 2018

December Daze

This lighted picture is a favorite gift I received this Christmas

December is a beautiful time of year for reflection and preparation for the holidays.
It is also a month of tension, overwhelming stress at times and lots of making lists and checking them twice planning sessions. Every year I think I'm ahead of the deadlines and that this month will afford me the pleasure of taking in some local events or having leisurely evenings to listen to Christmas music and sip on rich coffee.

But the extra stops at the store for groceries to make that snack I need to get in the mail the next day, or a last minute gift I forgot I needed-wanted of course- to buy, steals from the time I'd like to devote to idyllic moments of the season. This is small compared to others who are experiencing an illness or death that takes priority over the well planned out schedule leading up to the holiday.

Sometimes stresses mount for me until I'm feeling vulnerable and wimpy.  This season I discovered again how those times of weakness are opportunities for  God's sweet presence to sustain and strengthen me. As I draw more aside to ask for his help and look for his words of peace, he has abundantly poured his help upon me.

Here are some of the words He's spoken to me:

-Psalm 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
Certain expectations I had set were changed to a more practical approach or a different thought would steer me to do a more simple, doable action and I was so often reminded of that Voice of instruction and loving counsel.

-In one restless night when things felt overwhelming I asked for humor to lighten the next day somehow. It was fun to see how God arranged that to happen and provided a belly laugh hilarity. It was even more encouraging to realize afterward, that I had experienced the Lover of my soul answering a simple prayer.

-2 Corinthians 2:18
And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
That was my prayer that day and just reflecting on the whole chapter raised my sights to the glory of the Lord.  The word glory or a form of it is used 12 times in this chapter. I am encouraged as I reflect on who He is and who I am becoming in Him.

-Psalm 16:11
You will make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasure at your right hand.
Again the assurance and promise that I will be directed into what will bring life to me this day. And joy is what sustains me.  His presence is always with me.

-Psalms 51:8a
Let me hear joy and gladness;
How simple a prayer, but how it sets me up to anticipate fun and contentment in the busyness.  Without His joy and gladness I can be dragged into depression and gloom.  Thank you for your joyful heart, Father.  For how you sing over me with joy and how you delight in your children.

More ways He shares His love to me:

The carols of the season have been meaningful and uplifting to listen to-whether by radio, the Pandora station or my collection of CDS I've collected over the years. The messages of hope and the fun lyrics can lighten my mood.  Favorites: the Pentatonix- anything.  If you are not familiar with this a capella group, take a listen.  A CD, Christmas Gaither Vocal Band, has some unusual songs I never heard anywhere else- "Come and See What's Happenin' in the Barn" and "Christmas in the Country".  Then there's country flair, blues and salsa to my CD, Christmas on the Border, with foot stomping music.

The lights that brighten the nighttime bring cheer, and the words and visits with family and friends are like a massage to my soul.

Thank you, Father, for your love poured out this time of year and your sustaining grace to help me embrace it all. Thank you for the everlasting gift of Jesus and his sacrifice for sin that started it all. May you always be front and center in all I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!