Friday, February 2, 2018

Tasting Goodness




It’s beauty lingered. The colors stretched rosy, dream sickle fingers towards me. I tasted this awesomeness of morning and automatically whispered a response of praise to the Creator.  Oh taste and see that the Lord is good! Ps. 34:8  

Bible Study night group finds us scrutinizing the book of I Peter. Writing to saints in a society that wasn’t friendly to Christians, brings out the fatherly comfort of this apostle, along with practical reminders to his listeners of their privilege in the unseen kingdom of God and how to respond to their present day realities. 

After citing the many attributes of their heavenly inheritance and the power of the Living Word of God, he commands that they desire the pure­ spiritual milk­­ of the Word--since they’ve tasted that the Lord is good.  Whether young or old in the faith, this is common diet for all of us.  So where am I tasting God’s goodness that’s drawing me back for more of this drink that is organic and pure, loaded with preservatives of the good kind? For it preserves my life and my desires from rotting and spoiling away.

I taste it in creation-the sunrise, the tiny birds at my feeder, the moon, the amaryllis flowering on the dining room floor.  “Come and see my wonders”, they beckon.

Summer youth church camp packed in a week of inspiring messages around the campfire, while the darkness of night kept its close distance along the boundaries of the glowing light. His goodness never felt closer and I’d leave determined to carry His presence into the routine of life away from camp.

Answers to my prayers ooze goodness.  Hearing how others have tasted God’s goodness increases my appetite.

Growing up in a home where that pure spiritual milk was always in abundance, I tasted daily of its goodness and saw its benefits of comfort, instruction and hope in the lives of my parents. The Bible became familiar and made many deposits of truth and wisdom into my life account that has allowed never ending withdraws.

Will I share this goodness with others?  Will they taste it because I offer it? Matthew Henry, Bible commentary writer, points out that we can hear, smell and see from a distance, but the sense of taste requires closeness. Am I willing to be close to those who may not know there is goodness available?

She was watching the solar eclipse last summer.  She told the reporter is was an awesome experience and that she had felt very emotional.  She didn’t know why it affected her that way.  Did someone tell her that she had just tasted of God’s goodness and that she could have plenty more from where that came from? 

          
You’re a good, good Father,
That’s who you are,
And I’m loved by you,
That’s who I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!