Sunday, November 2, 2014

They Call Me Nana

Sometime, likely late 40s, it happens. You're officially dubbed whatever they've decided. And your new name and another identity begins. According to babycenter.com's lists of names I could have been a Mimi, Oma, Gramma-Bamma, Lala, Lulu, Nanner, or... but, I've been awarded a duel christening, Nana and Grandma, depending on which family I'm with.  And when all the cousins get together, I answer to both!

As the plane neared the Pensacola airport, I knew Ian and Dominic were anticipating their visit with Nana.  Even though I had only one small carry on as luggage, I managed to tuck surprises in between the folded clothes and accessories. I would soak up Nana moments and some sunshine with my southern family. We would squeeze as much lovin' and livin' as possible into my three day visit.

Here's what we did. Take a deep breath... Celebrated the season with pumpkin inspired sweets at Krispy Kreme, met Dominic's preschool teachers, collected leaves on a stroll outside, made leaf pictures, mixed and flattened and loaded some dough with cinnamon and sugar, ate cinnamon rolls, hit some plastic baseballs in the side yard, took a walk to the 'bumpy' road and the 'dirt' road, visited the white-sanded beach where Dominic kept mommy and me amused with watching his small body dancing against the shallow waves tumbling onto the shoreline, and laughing as he called the diving dolphins we saw in the distance, hippos, ate lunch with Ian at Kindergarten, played Spot It, put a puzzle together, read books, listened to Ian read a book, talked with their mommy while we taxied back and forth in the car- with the tunes of Go Fish in the background, ate awesome fries at Red Fish, Blue Fish, enjoyed excellent cuisine prepared by my creative daughter, and before I had gotten a chance to poke back a kick from the little Ringer yet unknown, it was time to board the home bound plane to Indiana... Whew!
Krispy Kreme!

















Nothing like the white sand of Pensacola Beaches!                                    
A Pumpkin Latte Swirled to Perfection


Leaf Picture Fun

Fish, butterfly and turtle
Jodi, Ian, Eman & Dominic


Meeting Ian for Lunch at His School

It was a great get-away!  Thank you, Jodi, for hosting me and planning our time together.

Father, thank you for creating family. For children grown up and building their own families who make us proud. Their wisdom, wit and welcome give us joy and friendship. For the reward of grandchildren. For times together and memories made.

...we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,

his power, and the wonders he has done.
Ps 78:4



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your response!