Friday, September 28, 2012

A Straying Heart


The past speaks to us in a thousand voices, warning and comforting, animating and stirring to action. 




Close that door! You'd think you were born in a barn, the way you leave that door open all the time.

Here, here...shhh...it's OK.

Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me... and that thou biddest me come to thee, oh, Lamb of God, I come, I come.

...in sickness and in health, for richer or poorer...til death do us part.

I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back, no turning back.

Recognize the voices? 

In the last post we shared ways past voices help our minds find rest and peace. Scripture stored to memory or called to mind, quiets and comforts in the middle of the night. Scripture spoken can convict and stir to action. His Word is the air we breathe. The past still speaks.

I'm finding treasure in a study of Hebrews with a committed group of  women every Monday night.  The first few chapters get two points across very clearly-- 
--Jesus is Greater!  than angels, than man, than Moses, than any other high priest...
--Be careful!  not to let the truth slip away, to keep a firm grip on our confidence in the hope in Christ, to not be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin, to make sure we enter into God's rest and not fail to enter because of the unbelief and disobedience the Israelites had

When God describes his displeasure with Israel he points out that they "always err and are led astray in their hearts, and they have not perceived or recognized My ways and become progressively better and more experimentally and intimately acquainted with them.". Ch 3, V. 10  AMP

I want to become progressively better...and more intimately acquainted with His ways. BUT.

Reasons Why I Might Thwart That Intimacy
--let me finish this project first because I have so many things to get done the (Mary vs. Martha argument)
--I never stopped to meditate or think about His ways this morning; the TV show was too interesting
--I meant to read that devotional online, but the 'just a little peek' at my emails turned into a maze of clicks and 'likes' and I ran out of time 
--I started reading the Bible, but my to-do list kind of took over and my mind wandered
--This one is hard to admit, but someone in another church class I'm in said it, out LOUD. In front of everyone there. We were talking about how the gospel changes everything in our lives and the power that is in the basic scriptures of salvation and the truth of forgiveness.  He said that he had read those so often and they were so familiar to him that sometimes he realizes that the new thoughts or methods he's heard, about how to deal with issues like unforgiveness or resolving conflicts hold more weight than the simple Words of Life. And I felt convicted right along with him. 

I've read the Bible so often, I think I know what it has to say. I might get sloppy in my attitude and not ask, seek and knock as much as I did at one time. Compound that with the many distractions of life, and the voices of the present and I may be letting the desire to know him better slip away. One. Relaxed. Muscle. At. A. Time. Picture that book you're reading in bed and its slow but sure descent to the floor as your finger muscles totally surrender to the sleep that renders them powerless.

I tell this to the One who wants to experience intimacy with me. I ask for His grace to draw me back to His love that is better than life. I ask for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation to know him better, that the eyes of my heart be enlightened that I may know the hope to which he's called me and the incomparably great power for us who believe. I ask Him to woo me closer.

And I embrace the blessing of studying the book of Hebrews with others who infect me with their passion to know him, or share something they've discovered that I never saw before. I need my sisters in Christ.


I couldn't resist. Hope this brings some lightheartedness your way today:
A husband and wife are fighting about who has to make coffee in the morning. 
The wife says "You wake up before me you should do it." The husband says 
"It's part of the cooking so it's your responsibility." "No." the wife says. 
"It's in the bible that the man makes coffee." The husband says "Prove it." 
The wife goes and gets the bible and sure enough there it is.."HEBREWS"



3 comments:

  1. I love that Hebrews joke! SO sweet! I like your thoughts about the book of Hebrews. My hubby is well versed in the bible and I am always still learning! It is a favorite book of mine too! I often have to refer to the Lord many times during the day! I rely on Him to keep me on track! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo funny. I'll have to tell my husband because he does brew!

    Reading the lists of the way I thwart intimacy with God was like you were following me around. Oh, I need to make some changes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should never forget that we need to please God. Too many times we try to please people and don't even consider whether it pleases God or not. The joke is so cute. My hubby does make the coffee much of the time. Maybe he is familiar with Hebrews. LOL
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your response!