Monday, August 22, 2011

Oh, Joy!

It's one of those seasons when Joy doesn't come easy.  At least the feeling of deep contentment and "all's right with the world" isn't my default mode right now.  I know it's only a temporary state and there aren't any big reasons why I'm seeming a little Eyorish. So what do you do while you wait for the Joy to return?

I speak to my insides some Davidese like Psalm 42: 5. (msg)
"Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul?
  Why are you crying the blues?
Fix my eyes on God--
  soon I'll be praising again."
            
       or

I'll cry a prayer for wisdom and understanding
surrendering any areas that worry has eroded
and admitting my need for help

      or

I listen to those songs that keep coming to mind,
deposits in my psyche from listening to the radio
or Sunday worship last week
or from hymns stored in my long time memory,
my waking-up-mind hearing the musical words,
like a heavenly jukebox dropping the perfect song
just for  me.

    or

I remind myself that God has restored my soul before,
and he will again.

   or

I deliberately choose to think on good things,
I build a list in my mind of things to be thankful for,
and wear a smile anyway, not to deny my cheerlessness,
but to cast hope into grace pools, and defiantly reel the empty line in,
confident one of the next casts will pull up the Joy.
Like this quote another blogger posted last week.
"Joy in this world," says John Ortburg, "is almost always a joy
in spite of something.  It's a defiant joy." 

So I borrow comfort from others and expect much from the Joy-Giver.
And I trust again, today.  And quietly wait, again. And say, "I love you,
anyway, Lord."



2 comments:

  1. Awesome steps to joy. Don't you just love the term "defiant joy?" It just has a strong and determined sound to it. I think God meets us in our determination to be joyful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ideas to combat the blues. Thank you for sharing this insight.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your response!